These are great just hot from the oven or split and toasted with butter the next day.
- 2 cups unbleached organic white flour (you may use a mixture of white and whole wheat pastry flour, if desired, to measure 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup organic natural cane sugar
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 6 TB unsalted, Natural By Nature whipped butter
- 1 organic egg
- 1/2 cup organic Natural By Nature grass-fed buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (do not spray or oil) and set aside. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until it is well mixed and the flour resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
In a separate medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla. Add this to the flour and oat mixture. Stir to combine. Gently fold in the cherries.
Drop the scones into 8 rounded balls on the parchment-lined cookie sheet a couple of inches apart from one another. The scones will rise and enlarge considerably. Bake until golden brown, about 17 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.