Garlic-infused shrimp are puréed, then blended with mild green chilies to form a superb, one-of-a-kind sauce for spinach and pasta.
- 1/3 cup canned chicken broth diluted with 1/3 cup water, or 2/3 cup homemade chicken broth
- 16 medium shrimp, unshelled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup Organic Natural By Nature sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 8 ounces bow-tie pasta
- 11/2 cups carrot matchsticks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced mild green chilies, drained
- 4 cups (loosely packed) stemmed spinach, cut into 1/2″-wide strips
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
PREP TIME: 35 MINUTES
- In a medium saucepan, bring diluted broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and garlic, and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer until shrimp are just cooked, about two minutes. Reserving cooking liquid, transfer shrimp and garlic to a plate and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Shell and devein shrimp, then place in food processor and process to form a paste. Add sour cream and continue processing until smooth and well combined. Add cooked garlic and about 1/3 cup of reserved cooking liquid and process to puree garlic. Stir in half of basil and set sauce aside.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions. About two minutes before pasta is done, add carrot matchsticks.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and green chilies and cook until onion begins to soften, about three minutes. Stir in shrimp sauce and remaining 2 TB basil and remove from heat.
- Place spinach in serving bowl. Drain pasta and carrots in a colander, then add hot pasta to serving bowl. Add shrimp sauce and toss to distribute ingredients. Serve with lemon wedges.